Love of film is just one passion in my life. This is the place where I publish all my other thoughts. ~RG

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Are You Deserving?

Every day on the way home from work I pass a local church. This church sits just down the street from our house and has been displaying on their marquee, for what seems like months, the catchy saying,


Everyone you meet deserves to be met with a smile.



At first I just thought it sounded more like a dentist's office slogan than something that one would normally find posted outside a house of God. I chuckled at its sappiness and went on my way. After days and days of reading the sign I really started to think about what it said and, more importantly, what it implied. I began to realize, as I picked it apart, that it was fundamentally wrong in its assertion.

Our salvation from the human condition has little to do with whether or not we deserve anything. While the saying may be heartwarming and its message one of kindness, I think in some respects it belies the primary crux of our Christian faith. The keystone is that we may freely accept the gift of life, even, or more appropriately, especially, if we don't deserve it.

What we deserve is death. What we can have is life, without cost. It requires only acceptance, followed by obedience.

I can think of countless situations where showing someone a smile is not what they deserve, have a right to, or what I would like to give them. In the end, I think this would be better phrased and represent the Christian faith more accurately as, "Everyone you meet should be met with a smile".

We are called to act in love, without prejudice to those around us, deserving or not. Perhaps through our simple act we may show them the acceptance that Christ has shown us.

~RG

3 Comments:

Blogger friend said...

true.

10:00 PM

 
Blogger xfevv said...

Great observation. Good to see you back up and running

10:08 AM

 
Blogger Regular Guy said...

Thanks for still visiting!

The whole issue is probably a little nit picky, but it just really started to grate on me after a while.

That is what is great about blogging: if something bothers you, you can get it off your chest.

~RG

11:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home